Transforming healthcare with groundbreaking genomics research
Inova Translational Medicine Institute (ITMI) is a not-for-profit research institute that applies genomic and clinical information from individuals to develop innovative methods for personalized healthcare.
ITMI is part of Inova Center for Personalized Health (ICPH), which connects researchers, clinicians and consumers to integrate genomic research for patient care, prevention and wellness. This approach enables individuals to live longer and transforms healthcare from reactive to predictive.
Research studies at ITMI generate a large genomic and clinical data set that can be used by researchers in a variety of fields, from computational biology to psychology, and biomedical research applications. ITMI’s utilizes genomic information from an individual to understand the onset of disease, leading to the implementation of preventative medicine, and to increase successful outcomes while reducing adverse reactions to treatment.
ITMI was founded on February 1, 2011, by Dr. John Niederhuber and Dr. Joe Vockley. Its team consists of 100 scientists, physicians, nurses, genetic counselors and laboratory technicians divided into three functional groups:
- Clinical – the clinical staff includes physicians, nurses, research coordinators and support staff for participants in genomic research studies
- Bioinformatics/IT – a variety of bioinformatics scientists and statisticians analyze genomic data and IT staff support the infrastructure necessary to evaluate data
- Laboratory – Inova Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (ILGM) consists of scientists and technicians that process individual samples into DNA and RNA for data generation
ITMI conducts studies related to child health and chronic diseases. Studies are designed to build genetic models that help answer questions about individual predispositions to a disease, treatment and ultimately prevention. Learn about our research studies.
ITMI offers a comprehensive Cancer Genetic Counseling Program for individuals who are at increased risk for hereditary cancer. Our genetic counselors are trained to help patients and families navigate through complex medical information and genetic testing. Call 571-472-0444 for more information and to make an appointment at one of our four locations.
Inova Cardiovascular Genomics Center works with individuals and families to assess their risk for cardiovascular disease. Patients will have a one-on-one consultation with our multidisciplinary team of genetic counselors, adult and pediatric cardiologists and medical geneticists to ensure that they leave with a clear understanding of how to manage their risk factors and implications for their family members along with recommendations on the next steps. For more information or to schedule an appointment call 1-855-5CV-GENE (1-885-528-4363).
Learn more about Inova Cardiovascular Genomics Center
What ITMI offers individuals, physicians and partners
- Individuals are helping us make important medical discoveries. The information and samples you provide help us understand more about child development and chronic diseases. Learn what we offer for individuals.
- Inova physicians are partners in our medical research. ITMI works with Inova physicians to enroll patients in groundbreaking studies and translate complicated genetic information for oncology patients and participants in our congenital disorders study. Learn what we offer physicians.
- Genomic researchers and bioinformatics experts are welcomed collaborators to build and examine new genetic models and make new discoveries about how to personalize diagnosis and treatment of tough medical conditions. Learn about opportunities to partner with us.
For more information, call us at 703-776-8199.