Inova is proud to introduce Sustainable Foods, Healthy Lives, an Inova Family Cookbook containing over 130 pages of recipes and
easy-to-understand articles supplied by members of the Inova family. The book’s chapters and recipes are divided by
season, and the recipes within each season contain at least one ingredient that
is produced within 250 miles during that time of year.
Healthy Lives is one of the first cookbooks on the market to take a
big-picture look at the complex connections between food, health and the
environment. It has been developed by
Inova as a tool to promote employee, patient and public health by teaching its
readers how to:
- Prepare healthy, nutritious meals. Many of the recipes are intrinsically healthy, and for those that aren't we have included tips for making them healthier from an Inova nutritionist.
- Understand how food choices impact environment and health. A team of sustainable foods experts – including chefs, nutritionists, physicians, green team members, and sustainable foods enthusiasts – worked for over a year to develop a roster of articles and guides that cover everything from health impacts of the food system to composting to the future of farming. These articles are designed to be digested easily and quickly by people who are unfamiliar with the content area.
- Reduce the impacts of food choices. In addition to helping people understand how food choices impact the environment and health, a suite of articles explores ways for people to make their food choices healthier for people and the environment. These articles provide a variety of ideas and tools for understanding how to accomplish this mission.
The Sustainable Foods,
Healthy Lives cookbook will be sold online and in select Inova gift stores and cafeterias. Proceeds from the sale of the book will benefit Inova's Double Dollars SNAP Enhancement program at local farmers' markets.
Spring: Asparagus Fennel Soup, Seafood Veggie Bisque, Chicken with Ramp Pesto, Vietnamese Chicken Salad
Summer: Moroccan-Style Corn Salad, Kabob Turkey with Green Indian Chutney, Aunt Margie's Summer Squash Casserole, Zucchini Cupcakes with Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting
Fall: Autumn Pear & Fennel Salad, West African Peanut Soup, Eggplant Stew, Cinnamon-Apple Latkes
Winter: Quinoa & Pecan Salad with Dried Cranberries, Kale Puttanesca, Curried Greens with Chickpeas, Persimmon Mousse
- Food Production: The Health Impacts
- Container Gardening
- All About Farmers' Markets
- Planning an Eco-Friendly Summer Barbecue
- Heritage & Heirloom Foods
- Sustainable Food Labels Decoded
- Guide to Organics
- Defining "Local"
- Planning a Salad Potluck
- Food Systems of the Future
About the Ingredients Guide
Inova's Ingredients Guide was designed as a supplementary resource to the Sustainable Foods, Healthy Lives cookbook.
It contains information on over 65 fruits and vegetables that are produced locally within 250 miles of Inova throughout the course of the year, including some less commonly-known ingredients such as celeriac, kohlrabi, dandelion greens and rutabagas.
The Ingredients Guide explores the story and characteristics of the produce grown locally in the Northern Virginia region, sharing information about how to select, store, prepare and use each ingredient.
to download the Ingredients Guide Resources & Photo Credits