See all Inova Maternity locations
Back to Inova Alexandria Women's Services
Inova Alexandria Hospital's special touch for you and your baby
For more than 135 years, moms and their new babies have had a soft spot for our special touch at Inova Alexandria Hospital. Perhaps it's because we care for each patient as an individual with unique needs, while highly advanced technology and expertise are at our fingertips. Our private, comfortable birthing suites provide a space that's just for you and your family. And Inova's services, programs and classes are designed to make your birthing experience one of the most memorable and enjoyable events in your life.
Personal birthing plans
We understand that the birthing experience is different for every woman. That’s why we will help you tailor your birth plan. You may want to consider such matters as whether the Lamaze® method of natural childbirth is right for you and whether you want your children present for the delivery. Whatever your wishes, our board-certified obstetricians, anesthesiologists, nurse-midwives and nurses will help you make them come true.
At Inova Alexandria Hospital, you'll benefit from the personalized care provided by our entire highly skilled and seasoned healthcare team. That’s why each year thousands of women in our community choose to give birth at our hospital.
Download a copy of Preparing for Birth at Inova Alexandria Hospital
This guide includes a checklist of what to bring to the hospital, how to apply for birth certificates and social security cards, and other information on the support services we offer.
Labor, delivery and recovery
At Inova Alexandria Hospital Birthing Center, women labor, deliver and recover in a private, home-like suite in the care of highly skilled nurses who specialize in the birthing experience. Our birthing suites combine soft, soothing colors, subdued lighting and comfortable furnishings with state-of-the-art equipment. Your bathroom, complete with a sit-down shower, will add to your comfort. Hidden within the cabinetry and behind decorator drapes are everything our experienced nursing staff might need to meet your family’s needs.
Our compassionate, highly trained nursing staff provides the special care you and your family need during this wonderful time. These special features help make your experience all you expect:
- Chair-bed for dad to spend the night comfortably
- Liberal family visitation policy
- ’Rooming-in’ which allows baby to stay in mom’s room at all times, except during transitions and exams
- Special newborn protection system
- Staff with knowledge and sensitivity to cultural and ethnic diversity
- Easy hospital access with ample free parking
Maternal-Child Nursing/Family Centered Care (FCC) Visiting Information:
- Visitation hours begin at 9 a.m. and end at 9 p.m. After 9 p.m. all visitors, including siblings, must leave
- Patients may have up to 5 visitors (a significant other/support person plus 4 others, including siblings)
- A doula is not considered a visitor
- Mothers are encouraged to take advantage of Serenity Hours. Any loud or disruptive visitors may be asked to leave
- No children under the age of 12, other than siblings of a newborn, may visit due to the immature immune system of newborns
- Siblings are encouraged to visit if they are free of illness and supervised at all times by an adult other than the patient. All siblings must leave by 9 p.m. and are not permitted to sleep in the patient's room overnight
- Special requests or considerations that affect visitation will be addressed
Nitrous Oxide Program available for laboring mothers
Nitrous oxide is now being offered at Inova Alexandria Hospital as a labor pain treatment option. Inova Alexandria is the only Inova hospital and one of a handful of facilities nationwide that offers this option. Learn more about nitrous oxide as a labor treatment
Breastfeeding or formula feeding?
The decision to breastfeed or formula feed your new baby is a personal choice. But we would like all our new parents to be aware of the health benefits of breastfeeding for both mothers and newborns. That is why we have joined with the international Best Fed Beginnings Program to support successful breastfeeding. Learn more about breastfeeding and the Best Fed Beginnings Program at Inova Alexandria Hospital
Education and support from our Lactation Center
Our commitment to breastfeeding is demonstrated by our experienced lactation consultants, who offer inpatient consultations and ongoing support once you've returned home
- Board-certified lactation consultants available for private consultations on the Mother-Baby Unit
- A weekly Latch Clinic for support within three weeks of birth
- Expert advice on how to smoothly transition back to work for breastfeeding moms
- A variety of supplies that support the breastfeeding mother and baby. The Lactation Center’s women’s store is open to our patients as well as the public.
Call 703-504-PUMP (7867) to learn more about Inova Alexandria Hospital Lactation Center.
Inova Brock Family Antenatal Testing Center serves the many women who have pregnancies considered high risk because of a pre-existing condition such as diabetes or hypertension. Older mothers and women with multiple pregnancies are also considered high risk. Your obstetrician-gynecologist may decide that a consultation with a perinatologist is necessary. Learn how the staff at Inova Brock Family Antenatal Testing Center work with high-risk mothers and their caregivers
Neonatal intensive care
Most women have uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries, yet it’s comforting to know that Inova Alexandria Hospital offers a fully staffed level 3 neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) that features the latest technology. Premature or special needs newborns receive around the-clock care in our family-centered NICU by specially trained board-certified newborn physicians, known as neonatologists, as well as specialized nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and nutritionists.
Your baby’s team of caregivers will explain to you procedures, equipment and the special care and needs of high risk or premature infants. Before you go home with your baby, we will give you complete instructions on home care. If your baby is being discharged on medications and an apnea monitor, you may have the option of spending one night to care for your infant where you will be supported by the NICU staff. We are always close by to answer your questions and provide help if you need it.
Watch this video about Inova Alexandria Hospital's NICU and the special care it offers premature babies