Inpatient and Clinic Service
During the inpatient service week the fellow will see the new consults, follow up with patients and participate in the inpatient bronchs.
Inpatient MD (on call MD for the weekend) rounds for the week
- Rounds on inpatients
- Sees the new inpatient consults
- New patient consults that arrive after 4 p.m. will be the responsibility of the MD on call that day (to decide to see ASAP or hold until the next morning)
- Does inpatient bronchs
Inpatient/outpatient helper MD
- Rounds on inpatients in the morning
- Participate in clinic in the afternoon
- Helps with new inpatient consults
- Does outpatient bronchs
There are 1-2 MDs in the clinic who will see the new consults and follow-ups. Several clinics run simultaneously. We are always adjusting clinic flow to meet the need of our patients.
Advanced Lung Disease clinics include the following:
- Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic: We were approved as an ILD Center of excellence by the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation in January 2015.
- Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic: We became one of the first accredited Pulmonary Hypertension Comprehensive Care Center’s in the country in September 2014.
- Cystic Fibrosis Clinic: Currently undergoing accreditation
- Other rare lung diseases and diagnostic dilemmas
- Pre-Lung Transplantation Clinic
- Post-Transplant Clinic
Clinics are open Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a lunch break between 12 noon and 1 p.m. Urgent ALD/LTx evaluation patients are seen on Fridays at 9 and 11 a.m.
There are 3 new consultations Monday through Thursday at 9:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Follow-up patients are seen every 30 minutes. New consult visits are allotted 1 ½ hours, including presentation to the attending and discharge. Please be cognizant of the time spent reviewing the records and with patients. Prolonged patient visits affect clinic flow and other patient visit times.
It is essential to review the records beforehand, including prior clinic notes and the media section. Coordinators will give the testing to the fellows when the patients are ready. The ALD coordinator will be in the room for summation and plan. Please do not allow new patients to leave the clinic before discharge by the coordinator.
Fellows are to arrive and consent the patient 15 minutes prior to bronchoscopy appointment time. The two consent forms are:
- Conscious sedation
Please check the patient history, recent labs and radiographic studies. Fill out the pre-procedure form (template) and put in the orders.
Bronchoscopy notes are done in Endoworks.